Procedure A. The Fungi
Observe the following slides under the microscope. Use the space provided to draw diagrams of the slides to help you remember them.
1. Rhizopus stolonifor- zygospore
2. Rhizopus stolonifor- sporangiospore
3. Penicillium notatum- conidiospore
4. Aspergillus niger- conidiospore
5. Candida albicans
6. Saccharomyces cereviseae (budding yeast)
7. Assorted live molds (set up on demo scopes)
Procedure B. The Protozoa
Observe the slides listed above. Draw diagrams to help you remember the organisms. Then use the reference materials available in the lab to fill in the information below for each organism in Table 10.2.1 (your instructor may assign you to research a particular species or group).
Table 10.2.1: Protazoa
|Organism (species name)||Taxonomic grouping (based on mode of locomotion)||Disease||How transmitted||Part of body affected||Other info|
Procedure C. The Helminthes
Observe the following slides and preserved specimens. Use the spaces provided to draw diagrams that will help you remember them. Then use the sources of information provided to fill in Table 10.2.2 (your instructor may assign you to research a particular species or group of species)
1. Enterobius vermicularis
2. Necator americanus
3. Schistosoma mansoni
4. Fasciola hepatica
5. Trichinella spiralis
6. Wuchereria bancrofti
7. Taenia solium
8. Preserved samples of tapeworms
9. Preserved samples of Ascaris lumbricoides
Table 10.2.2: Helminthes
|Species name||Common name||Taxonomic grouping(s)||How transmitted||Part of body affected||Other information|
Procedure D. Forehead cultures
In this lab you will culture bacterial inhabitants of a human forehead, and in Lab 12 you will use the Biolog bacterial identification system to identify the isolate.
Per pair of students: 1 TSA plate
1. Each student will swab their forehead with a sterile cotton swab, and then swab the TSA plate. A composite culture will be used so a specific bacterial species cannot be linked to a particular student.
2. Plates will be incubated until the next lab period.