- Organisms found in hot springs are generally not human pathogens. Explain why.
- What are the major effects that heat may have on a cell?
- Why is the turbidity of different bacteria at the various temperatures different?
- How does the difference in prodigiosin pigment production of Serratia marcescens relate to gene expression?
- How might you use temperature to help you distinguish Serratia marcescens from E. coli?
- Refer back to Figure 11.1.1, the graph of a mesophilic bacterium. Utilize the graph paper to draw the curves of each temperature category. Compare your results to the graph and label your organisms to the category they most closely match.
Contributors and Attributions
Kelly C. Burke (College of the Canyons)