After this lab you should be able to:
- Define the terms: Cardinal temperatures, psychrophiles, psychrotrophs, mesophiles, thermophiles, hyperthermophiles.
- Know several relative temperatures in centigrade.
- Relate temperature to survival of bacteria in food, water, etc.
- Describe the effects temperature can have on a cell.
- Briefly relate production of prodigiosin to gene regulation in Serratia marcescens.
This chart from the Indiana State Dept. of Health shows the relationship of various temperatures on the growth of foodborne bacteria. What temperatures do most bacteria grow in? How does this relate to things like food storage, medication storage, etc.?
Contributors and Attributions
Kelly C. Burke (College of the Canyons)