The objective of this unit is to not only get you acquainted with what this book will cover but to also introduce the rigors and structure of science and how mathematics plays a crucial role in helping scientists interpret results in the most unbiased way possible. Science and mathematics are not just for scientists. A base understanding of these subjects is crucial in our very complex modern world. Without a solid understanding of how science and mathematics play a role in our everyday lives, we cannot respond appropriately in everyday situations, know how to vote on scientific laws, or hold public representatives responsible for their decisions on scientific policy.
Rachel Schleiger (CC-BY-NC)
- 1: Environmental Science Preface
- What is environmental science and what will this book cover? This preface will give you an idea of what is to come.
- 2: What Is Science, and How Does It Work?
- The scientific method is the process of objectively gathering information about the natural world. Science is more than just a body of knowledge, science provides a means to evaluate and create new knowledge without bias. Scientists use objective evidence over subjective evidence, to reach sound and logical conclusions. An objective observation is without personal bias and the same by all individuals.
- 3: Math Blast- An Overview of Essential Mathematics Used in Science
- This section introduces essential terms used in mathematics/statistics as a part of the scientific method.