After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- State the primary functions of roots.
- Distinguish the two types of root systems.
- Identify the different root regions and their corresponding function: root cap, region of cell division, region of elongation, and region of maturation.
- List the name and function of the main root tissues: epidermis, cortex, endodermis, pericycle, xylem, and phloem.
- Describe how water absorption happens in roots.
- List and describe the various types of specialized roots and provide examples of each.
- List economically important root crops.