Jump to Chapter Contents ↓
Chapter 3 BSC 3271 Learning Outcomes
- List, in order, the six general steps of virus reproduction.
- Explain how enveloped viruses acquire their envelopes.
- Compare and contrast the reproduction of DNA viruses and RNA viruses.
- Describe the two possible locations for the viral genetic material within the host cell.
- Distinguish between lytic and lysogenic viruses based on location of the viral genome with respect to the host genome and the effects on the host cell.
- Describe + sense and – sense RNA with relation to mRNA.
- Explain the roles of HA and NA in influenza infection.
- Differentiate between antigenic shift and antigenic drift in influenza and explain how these contribute to seasonal and epidemic flu outbreaks.
- Describe the three general methods by which viruses can be detected, focusing on the evidence of viral presence which is being detected (not the intricacies of the lab techniques)
- Explain at least 3 mechanisms by which a virus can be oncogenic (not going to be covered Sp21)
- Given a description of a virus and its mechanism of reproduction, determine its potential for being oncogenic (not going to be covered Sp21)
Thumbnail: "Influenza virus" by Sanofi Pasteur is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0