- Get an idea of what the earliest life forms on Earth looked like.
- Know some of the roles of cyanobacteria in ecosystems, including primary production, nitrogen fixation, and mutualisms.
- Differentiate between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
- Understand how cells can increase in complexity through endosymbiosis.
- Familiarize yourself with plant cell structure and function.
- Successfully use the dissecting and compound microscopes to view specimens.
- Prepare a wet mount of a specimen.
- Differentiate between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells based on size and cellular composition.
- Select the appropriate stain to view specific aspects of a cell.