Regulation is largely exerted at the initiation of replication, and methods for finding origins and termini of replication will be covered. The proteins involved in control of replication initiation in E. coli and yeast will be discussed. One solution to the problem of completing the synthesis of linear DNAs in eukaryotes will be described - that of making telomeres. Some of the factors controlling the rate of initiation of replication will be discussed briefly.
- Jacob, F., Brenner, S. and Cuzin, F. (1963) On the regulation of DNA replication in bacteria. Cold Spring Harbor Symposium on Quantitative Biology 28:329-348.
- Danna and Nathans, D. (1972) (Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA 69:3097-3100.
- Brewer and Fangman (1987) Cell 51:463-471.
- Dutta A and Bell SP (1997) Initiation of DNA replication in eukaryotic cells. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 13():293-332
- Cimbora, Daniel M. and Groudine, Mark (2001) The control of mammalian DNA replication: A brief history of space and timing. Cell 104: 643-646.
- Diffley, John F.X. (1995) Once and only once upon a time: specifying and regulating origins of DNA replication in eukaryotic cells. Genes & Development 10:2819-2830.