After completing this chapter you should be able to...
- Discuss the history of human population growth.
- Define demographic transition.
- Explain how total fertility rate and age structure affect current and future population growth rate.
- Interpret age structure diagrams.
- Discuss the long-term implications of unchecked human population growth with respect to carrying capacity and ecological footprints.
- Describe efforts to regulate human population size.
The world’s human population is growing at an exponential rate. Humans have increased the world’s carrying capacity through migration, agriculture, medical advances, and communication. The age structure of a population allows us to predict population growth. Unchecked human population growth could have dire long-term effects on our environment.