After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the parts of the stem and its main function.
- Describe the differences between the monocot and eudicot stems.
- List the name and function of the main woody stem tissues: bark, epidermis, phloem, vascular cambium, and xylem.
- Distinguish between primary growth and secondary growth in stems.
- Describe the composition of wood and its annual rings, sapwood, heartwood, and bark.
- List the main uses of stems.
- Describe the differences among modified stems: rhizomes, tubers, bulbs, stolons/runners, corms, and cladophylls.