Testing for simple sugars
Benedict’s solution turns orange-brown in the presence of simple sugars
Test samples: distilled water, glucose, starch, orange juice, regular soda, diet soda, unknown
*Shake the starch before using it.
1. Fill a beaker about halfway with water and bring it to a gentle boil on the hot plate
2. Label tubes
3. Add ~2 ml sample to the tube (~0.5 inch)
4. Add ~2 ml (0.5 inch) Benedict’s solution and swirl to mix.
Record the color in table below
5. Put the tube in the water and heat for 3 minutes.
6. Use test tube clamps to remove tubes from heat and record color.
**Dispose of waste in waste beaker**
|tube||sample||initial color||color after heat||conclusion|