- Balloon-and-bell jar
- Pull down the rubber sheet. What happens to the balloons?
- This represents the downward movement of the human _________________, which causes the chest cavity to become ______________________________ (larger/smaller). This, in turn, causes the human ______________________________ to expand and fill with air.
- Release the rubber sheet. What happens to the balloons?
- This represents relaxed ___________________ (inhaling/exhaling), when the chest cavity becomes smaller and the lungs deflate. Note that this is a passive process.
- What organs do the balloons represent?