Work in groups on these problems. You should try to answer the questions without referring to your textbook. If you get stuck, try asking another group for help.
1. Draw your MSA plate results IN COLOR here (1 pt).
2. Why did Escherichia coli not grow on the MSA plate (1 pt)?
3. What do you expect will be the result of the coagulase test for the bacterial species you chose? Why? (2 pts)
4. Fill in the chart below (1 pts):
HEMOLYSIS (α / β / γ)
|NOVOBIOCIN susceptible/ resistant||OPTOCHIN susceptible/ resistant||BACITRACIN susceptible/ resistant|
5. How does having the exo-enzyme coagulase make the bacteria more pathogenic? (1 pts)
6. Record your results for the StaphTEX kit (1 pt)
7. Draw your CAMP plate below, making sure to label each species of bacteria and showing the areas of hemolysis. (1 pt)
8. On the CAMP plate, where was enhanced hemolysis observed and why? (2 pts)