Starting in 1998, the World Wildlife Federation (WWF) began publishing the Living Planet Report. This report analyzes the health of the plant relative to the impact humanity has on it, and is updated every two years. This report continually urges humanity, especially world leaders, to work together to build a more sustainable, resilient, and healthy future for people and nature. In the 2018 update, there was an overview of the major threats to biodiversity for several animal families of concern. See the graph of their results below:
- What is the independent (explanatory) variable and the dependent (response) variable?
- What animal category above is most affected by habitat destruction? What about exploitation?
- What category above has the largest impact (on average) on all species?
- What is different for the fish data patterns compared to the other animal categories? Why?
- How can the results of this graph to inform future conservation efforts?
- Based on what you have learned in the chapter, list two other categories of life that you think should be added to the graph. Provide at least one reason for each as to why you think it should be added.
Raw Data From Above Graph(s)
|Animal Group||Habitat Degradation||Exploitation||Invasive Species And Disease||Pollution||Climate Change|
Rachel Schleiger (CC-BY-NC)