After this lab you should be able to:
- Perform a Negative stain on a variety of bacterial cultures.
- Explain the principles of how the Negative stain works.
- Evaluate and interpret your Negative stain results correctly.
- Interpret and troubleshoot poor stain results.
- Compare and contrast the principles of Negative and Simple stains.
This image is a Negative stain of a mixed culture. Look closely and see if you identify different cell types by morphology and arrangement. By the end of the semester you will be able to make some very accurate predictions about which bacteria from our course are in this image.
Contributors and Attributions
Kelly C. Burke (College of the Canyons)