Wet Mount Materials:
- Glass slides
- Hanging drop slides
- Mixed Protists
- Amoeba proteus
- Trypanosoma gambiense (West African trypanosomiasis)
- Plasmodium vivax (benign tertian malaria)
- Paramecium caudatum
- Giardia lamblia (giardiasis)
- Cryptospiridium parvum (gastrointestinal disease)
- Entamoeba histolytica (Amoebic dysentery)
- Trichomonas vaginalis (STD)
- Live material: Observe the live Mixed Protist Survey via a wet mount or hanging drop slide. View the specimen with Bright Field, Phase Contrast, and Dark Field if your microscope is equipped with it. Draw what you observe.
- Prepared slides: Examine the prepared slides (use Bright Field only). Refer to images provided in order to help you find the correct organism/structure.
- Review the life cycles for each disease. Make note of habitat, hosts, transmission routes, and specialized structures.
Draw the organisms as you see them through the microscope. Record the total magnification and a measurement. Indicate on the drawing what you measured with a bar symbol: \(\mid -\mid \)
Contributors and Attributions
Kelly C. Burke (College of the Canyons)