Practice with Depth of Field in the Microscope
This portion of the procedure is another practice to demonstrate depth perception. Many new microscope users find it difficult to conceive that the specimen on the slide is in three dimensions. As the stage is moved up and down, different threads will be in focus.
- Microscope slide with 3 threads
1. Place the thread slide onto the mechanical stage.
2. Use the SCANNING (4x) objective and course focus adjustment to focus, then move the mechanical stage around to find the threads.
3. If needed, switch to the low power (10x) objective and refocus.
4. Determine which thread is on the bottom, middle, and top of the slide.