This chapter on carbohydrates will review those features that are deemed especially important for a one semester course dealing with structure and function of biomolecules.
- Introduction to Polysaccharides
- Visual Nomenclature for Glycobiology
- Oligosaccharide Derivatives in Bacterial Cell Membranes
- Cell Membranes of Eukaryotes
- Cell Surface Carbohydrates
- Receptor for Sialic Acids
- Textbook mistakes in Biochemistry: Glycogen
- Sander I. van Kasteren, Holger B. Kramer, Henrik H. Jensen, Sandra J. Campbell, Joanna Kirkpatrick, Neil J. Oldham, Daniel C. Anthony, Benjamin G. Davis. Expanding the diversity of chemical protein modification allows post-translational mimicry.Nature, 446, 1105 (2007).
- Cohen, J. Differences in Immune Cell "Brakes" May Explain Chimp-Human Split on AIDS.Science 312 672 (2006)
- Borman, Stu. Carbohydrate Advances.C&E News. August 6, pg 41 (2005).
Genbacev, O. , et al.Trophoblast L-Selectin-Mediated Adhesion at the Maternal-Fetal Interface.Science. 299, pg 405 (2003) (Review:Vol 299, pg 355, 2003)
- Schfield et al. Synthetic GPI as a candidate anti-toxic vaccine in a model of malaria.Nature. 418, pg 785 (2002)
- Samuelson et al. Making Membranes in Bacteria (moving proteins to the correct location).Nature. 406. pg 575, 637 (2000)
- Seeberger et al. Sugars Join the Automation rush (sold phase synthesis of oligosaccharides). Science. 291, pg 805 (2001)
- Peters et al. Fusion needs more than SNARES (how membranes fuse).Nature 409, pg 567 (2001)
- Saxon and Bertozzi. Cell Surface Engineering by a modified Staudinger reaction.Science. 287. pg 2007 (2000)
- Humprhies et al, Forsberg et al.Mast cell Heparin (role).Nature.400, pg 714, 769, 773 (1999)
- Meléndez-Hevia et al.Glycogen Structure: an Evolutionary View", Technological and Medical Implications of Metabolic Control Analysis (ed. A. Cornish-Bowden and M. L. Cárdenas), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.pp. 319--326 (2000)
- Helenius et al. Translocation of lipid-linked oligosaccharides across the ER membrane requires Rft1 protein.Nature. 415. pg 382, 447 (2002)